The fall meeting for WG 3 Dependability management and systems was held in Sydney, Australia during the week of October 31, 2016. From the
meeting, the following items of interest are:
1. IEC 61882 Hazard and operability studies (HAZOP): The second edition was published in February this year so this completes the maintenance of this standard.
2. IEC 62775/TS Dependability Management: Application guide - Dependability and financial processes for implementing asset management systems. This new Technical
Specification was published in May and provides an important link between dependability and financial processes and asset management.
3. IEC 60300-3-3: Application guide - Life cycle costing: Comments on the CDV have been dispositioned and submitted to IEC
and the standard will shortly be issued as a FDIS.
4. IEC 62550 Spare parts provisioning: This standard has now been issued as an FDIS and should be published in early 2017.
5. IEC 60300-3-10 Application guide – Maintainability and IEC 60300-3-14: Application guide - Maintenance and maintenance
support: Due to discussions on the structure of dependability standards, these projects are still on hold until their place in the new
structure is resolved.
6. IEC/ISO 31010 Risk management: Risk assessment techniques: The joint IEC/ISO working group spent two days discussing
the many comments that were received from both TC56 and ISO/TC262. These resulted in some more restructuring of the document. A third CD
will be issued for review at the next meeting after which it is expected that the standard can progress to the CDV stage.
7. IEC 62402 Obsolescence management: This project team has been progressing the Working Draft through online meetings and it is now close to being
issued as a CD.
8. IEC 62960 Dependability review during the life cycle: There were excellent discussions on the comments from the last CD and
resolution of comments. A CD2 will be issued for discussion at the next meeting and it should be possible to go to CDV after that meeting.
9. IEC 62508 Guidance on human aspects of dependability: It was not possible to commence the action items from the last
meeting but they are now able to be addressed for the next meeting.
10. IEC 60300-3-4 Application guide - Guide to the specification of dependability requirements: The project team
discussed a comparison between IEC 60300-3-4 and IEC 62347 that had been prepared by project leader. There was agreement
that this comparison can form the basis for incorporating the relevant content of IEC 62347 into IEC 60300-3-4. The
subsequent action is for the Project Leader to combine the two standards for review by the project team and then issuing as a CD for comments at the next meeting.
11. Standards that are approaching their stability dates were reviewed. The following decisions were made:
• IEC 60300-1 Guidance on management of dependability – Revise
• IEC 62198 Managing risk in projects - Application guideline – Reconfirm
• IEC 60706-5 Maintainability of equipment - Part 5: Testability and diagnostic testing – Reconfirm
• IEC 62347 Guidance on system dependability specifications – Reconfirm
• IEC 62402 Obsolescence management – Reconfirm
• IEC 62508 Guidance on human aspects of dependability – Reconfirm
12. WG3 participated in the Ad Hoc meeting on the structure of dependability standards which was chaired by
Peter Kohler. The stakeholder analysis conducted since the last meeting was discussed. This was followed up by small group
discussions on the major issues facing the use of dependability standards which then resulted in a number of action items
to be completed by the next meeting.